All minors, age 14 to 17, who are offered employment in the State of Wisconsin MUST come in person to obtain a work permit. Work permits are available at the Workforce Development Center in Racine or at Burlington High School. Check out the Racine and Bulington flyers for details regarding specific locations and forms that MUST be brought along at the time a permit application is made.
The following documents MUST be presented at the time the permit is issued (no exceptions):
1) Any of the following original documents may be used as proof of age of the minor:
- Birth Certificate or
- Baptismal Certificate or
- Valid Wisconsin drivers license or
- Identification card from the Wisconsin Department Of Transportation
2) Original Social Security Card is an ADDITIONAL requirement. If you are unable to provide the original social security card a current verification letter issued by the Social Security office is acceptable.
3) A signed "Intent To Hire" letter from the employer, preferably on the employers letterhead, with the following information:
- Employer’s address and
- Employer’s telephone number and
- Minor’s name and
- Type of work the minor will perform and
- Approximate weekly work hours
4) Parents or Guardian Written Consent / Approval to the employment.
5) Exact CASH ONLY since no change can be given. A $10 bill, two $5 bills or ten $1 bills. (The Employer will reimburse the $10 to the minor)
CHECKS/CREDIT CARDS/DEBIT CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
For more information call 262-638-6429.
See the Employment of Minors Guide for more information on working before you are 18 years of age.